Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

When living onboard the Anastasis in West Africa, I included a little article in my newsletter titled as this is. In that article I would chronicle some of the more unusual, if not interesting, things that were true about life onboard a 50-year old sailing vessel. (Things like: don't be first into the shower room in the morning if you're squeamish about little visitors -- 'nough said.)

Today as I reflect on the week, I realize that all of life, no matter where it is lived out, have some of those ugly, bad and very thankfully, good points. One day this week for instance, in the space of two hours I had to deal with a child who deeply bit into the arm of one of our teen volunteers (the bad), had to help clean up a child who couldn't hold down his snack (the ugly), and then finally--rejoiced that four little girls received the Lord Jesus as their Savior (definitely the Good)!

On Wednesday, someone decided it should be Grouch Day -no kidding, it's on some calendars (okay, on some internet calendars). I had been feeling grouchy that day (the bad) and then remembered my very good girlfriends. It made the whole day better from that point on . . . even though I couldn't see them or talk to them. I realized that there are some people that the Lord brings into your life that stay even if not close in proximity. These people who share that faith in the Lord provide support, accountability, and joy!

I hope that if you are experiencing the bad or ugly right now you might stop to think about what the Lord has brought into your life that blesses you and encourages you. Take time to then encourage someone else -- they might be having an ugly moment too.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Hi! Welcome to the blogging world! I'm so glad you decided to do it. I look forward to keeping up with you this way. Love ya, Sis!
Carla

Billinda said...

Thanks for being my inspiration for joining the blogging world, too. I really enjoyed "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly". I read it Sunday afternoon, then read it to Kami later that day. Yesterday, after a tough day, I went to it again. You challenged me, so here it goes...I was angry and frustrated with the system that doesn't ensure our returning soldiers are cared for the way they deserve (the bad). My husband endured the pain of a grueling and invasive procedure he wasn't supposed to feel (definitely, the ugly). Last night, I wrapped my arms around him and held him, thankful that God spared his life in Iraq (the beauty of "The Good"). Thank you for your "Reflections". Keep, up the good work. I love you!!!