
That's something that rings in my ears every time I can't miss (or don't see) a pothole! My Dad taught me to drive (much to his chagrin I'm sure). He was somewhat fanatical about the family car staying in near-perfect condition. We were taught to miss potholes, dodge debris, and beg Mom to help us when we got a scratch on the paint. (Sometimes Mom and rubbing compound could make it all go away :-) This very morning as I drove down the road crossing from the right side of my lane to the left and back again to miss dips, dents, cracks -- anything that might be a bump -- I wondered if the driver behind me might think I was "another crazy woman driver" or worse. I hadn't thought before that other people may not even try to miss dips and bumps -- maybe the potholes -- but how far do "normal" people (those not trained by my Dad) go to avoid road anomalies. I was so good at missing things (having good practice in PA - King of the Pothole States) that once some small boys who lost their ball to the middle of the street one day thought I must be a race car driver since I managed to miss it.
So how far will you swerve to miss that bump or pothole? Were you trained by a bonafide "Car & Driver's Dad of the Year?" Just wondering . . .
1 comment:
Well I can't blame whoever trained me.. buy I do not tend to miss potholes or curbs, or posts.... and my flat tires, dented radiator, and somewhat amazed mechanic can attest to that!!
Post a Comment