Tonight I was blessed by being asked my history. Maybe it is because we have just entered 2009, or maybe because I have reached that year of life that nobody really believes that you are the age you are, but it just seemed somehow ironic to be asked my history at a time when History and Future are on the mind so much.
I have often reflected that it is rare to actually be around someone besides family who knows your history. How many of my current friends know that I used to sing quite a bit and have even been honored to do that at a wedding or two? (Of course, I grant you that I was much more in training then as opposed to now :-) How many know that I love horses? Mostly those who have been in my home. How many know I used to collect things -- all kinds of things... buckeyes, leaves, rocks (but they had to be pretty) .... Well, now you know.
Do we really take time to get to know those around us? Some of us have moved around a lot and have had to keep making new friends while keeping up with friends now far away. It takes initiative, time, effort, energy. I was reminded just tonight that everyone has a story. Some are longer than others but each one is incredibly unique. Over the holidays I had a rare moment with my great Aunt. She's 96 and lived through tremendous history. She told me about a whole chunk of family history I'd never known. I'm only sorry I didn't write it down or tape record it. I want to be better at getting the "back story." I know that my back story has a lot to do with my present. So, what's your story?
PS The picture is an important place from my story...know where it is??
4 comments:
Hey! I would say I know you pretty well--horses and all! :-) Is the picture from where your mom's dad used to live? I can't think of the name of the town at the moment.
Woohoo! Carla ROCKS! That's right, Putneyville, Pennsylvania is where the picture is from!
Great insight, Deb!!! Welcome back to the blogging world. I was beginning to think we had lost you, although I check several times a week so see if you've added anything! I am really striving to be more relational. I want to KNOW people not just associate with them. I may follow your lead and share my "history" soon! By the way, the place in the picture is beautiful. It reminds me of a place from my own history!
Well I didn't know where the picture was (I'm impressed that Carla did tho')-- but we were looking at a couple of pictures of you last week -maybe at about 8 years of age? I'll have to post them :)
Post a Comment