Friday, January 23, 2009

There's Our Friends...


I was reminded today about how sometimes a very little thing can be an incredible influence that is carried from one generation to the next. For instance, it is clear in our culture, that a great many people in society do not highly respect law enforcement. There are all kinds of nicknames, most of them derogatory, for our police men and women. In my family, my Mom taught us in a very little but powerful way to not only respect, but indeed, to rely upon those who wear the blue uniforms. Every time we would see a policeman or a police car, I distinctly remember my Mom say, "There's our friends, keeping us safe." In my mind there is even a distinct phrasing or "singsong" way to say it.

And yes, I say it to myself, in my mind, almost every time I see a policeman. Perhaps you'll call it indoctrination. There are so many who do not have respect, but rather fear or suspicion regarding the police. Media has in many ways done a great disservice to these brave men and women who are out there trying to curb evil everyday. When someone is with me in the car, I say it out loud. One of my friends chuckles every time saying I am trying to pass it on to the next generation. I know that she rubs shoulders with quite a few through work and culture, who haven't had the good fortune of a positive experience and relationship towards the police. I'm sure she'd get quite a few raised eyebrows (or something more) if she expressed this sentiment in some circles. What is second nature to me is completely unnatural to some segments of society. Just one phrase, yet a world apart in attitude.

If it is indoctrination, then it is of the best kind. God supports such training of children in much more important areas. Deuteronomy 6 talks about impressing the commands of the Lord upon the children. Talk about them when you get up, when you sit at a meal, while you walk along the way, when you get ready to go to bed -- whenever, wherever, however you can --teach your children what the Lord has said. Sometimes the training up of children is much more subtle than we think. You may think you are teaching them right, but they see you do the wrong much more often -- they will learn to do the wrong.

I'm glad for parents who both walked and talked according to God's Word. Perhaps they were not perfect; no one who is human is perfect. I can look back though and see multitudinous ways that my life was spared sorrow and pain because of both the example and the training from my parents. So thanks once again Mom (and Dad) for good, solid training for life . . . and for teaching me who my friends are.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Amen to that!

Mrs. Trooper said...

This is so sad, but true. Thanks for writing.